How long should your resume be?
The one question that is the most asked is how lengthy should a resume be? Well, there is no rulebook to that as it all depends on the hiring manager but sure there things you can do to keep the length of a resume perfect –
The guideline as they say is, the length of a resume should be long enough to attract the recruiter’s attention. This may sound vague, but there here we give you some free tips on the length of a resume.
Key points are career objective, occupation, industry, years of experience, number of employers, scope of accomplishments and education/training.
Length of a resume – Best tips
Keep these facts in mind when deciding on resume length:
- The resume should be a well targeted one, so do without all the details that bear no relevance to the desired role. Keep the length of a resume concise yet rich in information. The resume is merely a piece of paper where you sell yourself, so do that well and in short.
- Remember, that amidst tons of emails the hiring managers get everyday the surely skim-read. So, one resume merely gets a maximum of 10 seconds to create an impression, make that time count, time is money.
CV/resume Length tips
- For those having an experience of less than 10 years
- For those who are looking for a career switch and don’t have enough experience for the new role.
- For those with more than 10 years of experience.
- For those in the technical field where the are a lot of technical things to write about.
One can also opt for a resume summary if required as that will help the hiring manager decide whether he wants to read the next two pages or not.
Three page Resume or longer –
- For those with a long history of records, experiences and accomplishments Eg. senior officials, executives, presidents etc.
- For those in the academic or scientific fields where there is a lot to say about research works, projects etc.